IAD Process Week 5 – Production 1

Monday

Vinzenz and Shaën each did one more interview on Monday with more interesting results. This time we were surprised that the couples had very similar problems.

Tuesday

After sharing the interviews we individually made, we tried to find identical statements from the couples. The most popular sentence was probably that the bracelet would have to be hidden most of the time. It should be very discrete and not visible all the time.

This lead us to the conclusion, to build a new prototype we could then use in our concept video or demonstration. To make the prototype less striking, we decided to minimize the transparent material. The bracelet would now be black and have a tiny box or dot, which is enlightened by a color LED according to the color. After our struggles with the Ninja Flex, we reconciled with flexible 3D printer material and decided to try another black flex material.

Wednesday

We arrived Wednesday morning and went straight to the Industrial lab to check on our new prototype. Luckily the print turned out to be decent, and we experimented with the lights inside of it. Our previously used LED stripes worked but were extremely hard to hide in videos or photos because of the big power supply and the remote control.

We went to the physical computing lab and asked Clemens and Moritz for some technical parts and advice on the selection of the electronics. Moritz suggested to use an Adafruit Feather (similar to an Arduino), and a Neopixels Led. The feather is a small microcontroller that works with a tiny 3.7V battery and the Neopixels have some sort of bus system, which reduces the wires required to control the colors of the LED. It also enabled us to make the prototype portable and not connected to the socket or huge batteries.

Thursday

We presented our idea for the concept video to Nicole. Initially, we wanted to shoot scenarios with actors or even with ourselves. These scenarios would then show how our bracelet could influence people in a dispute or in everyday life situations.

Nicole warned us of the disadvantages of filming emotions with “actors”. Since we did not have the resources to find interested and talented actors in such a short time, it would be hard to convey the emotions and feelings of the characters in our video. Due to this realization, we decided to make our movie with a more abstract set.

A simple background, some sort of objects that could indicate a room, and the two bracelets which play a scenario. Reduced to the max. Instead of creating new scenarios which show the usage, we decided to use the disputes, we recorded in the interviews. These would be more authentic and random, then our ideas.

That way we would have the audio file of a couple arguing in the background, and in the image of the bracelets with the emotions of the narrators would be visual.

Friday

After a failed 3D print of a couch for our set. We started a new print on another printer.

While we waited for our couch, we cut the interviews and defined the audio files for our videos. We came across two disputes, which were suitable for our project.

To visualize our ideas for the video we created a detailed storyboard.  

Key lessons of the week

Don’t spend too much time on prototyping. It’s fun but you have to keep focused on your project. But prototyping, after all, makes clearly makes sense.

We have to work with the resources we have and we are no good actors. So there might be a more creative way of conveying the experience of the product.

Never use a 0.4mm nozzle for a 20cm print model (takes 20 hours and destroys your object 1h before the end)!